Soul Community Planet Announces Commitment to Fully Vegetarian Menus, Net Zero Waste and Peaceful Rooms
SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Calif. (August 12, 2021) – Soul Community Planet (SCP), a purpose-driven Holistic Hospitality company, today redoubled its commitment to its core values of healthy, kind and green. The company announced it will become fully vegetarian across all of its venues, achieve net zero waste company-wide, and standardize all of its guest rooms on its signature “Peaceful Rooms” design, which provides essentialist sleep and relaxation experiences centered on non-toxic, plant-based bedding and Zen design elements, but which are free from traditional guest room distractions such as clocks and TVs.SCP’s goal is to fully implement these three new programs during 2022.
Borne out of a vision to help make the world around us a better place, Soul Community Planet is committed to serving those who value wellness, kindness and sustainability. We are truly grateful for the overwhelmingly positive response our Holistic Hospitality concept has received to date. Today, we elevate our commitment to providing healthy, kind and green accommodations and experiences which enhance the wellness of our guests, strengthen our communities and help to create a more sustainable planet,” said Soul Community Planet Co-Founder and CEO Ken Cruse. “We are going fully vegetarian because locally-sourced, plant-based menus are unquestionably good for both personal and planetary wellness. We are committing to becoming a net zero waste organization to combat our industry’s devastating throw-away practices. Finally, we are converting all of our guest rooms to Peaceful Rooms because we believe our guest room experience should be centered around rest and relaxation, and free from distractions. We hope all three of these new programs will not only serve to fulfill our commitment to our guests and the planet but also inspire others to follow suit.”
SCP’s mission has always been to provide clean, fresh, energy efficient, low-waste accommodations, fitness and coworking. SCP’s venues are designed to offer premium, purpose-driven experiences for those who value health, social good and sustainability.
SCP’s elevated brand standards will include:
- Fully Vegetarian Menus – Plant-based diets are good for personal and planetary wellness. By standardizing all of SCP’s food and beverage on vegetarian offerings, SCP is elevating its commitment to providing its guests and members with healthy, community-centric, sustainable dining. This commitment is a natural progression of SCP’s current food and beverage options, including Provisions Markets, The Rooftop and the recently-opened Terra Kitchen at SCP Redmond. SCP’s commitment to a healthy, locally-sourced vegetarian menu will feature fresh, organic ingredients sourced from local regenerative farms, reflecting local regions mountains, valleys and streams, as well as a selection of wholesome consumables, including local kombucha, coffee, craft beer and other grab-and-go options, available around the clock.
- Net Zero Waste - Achieving Net Zero Waste means reducing, reusing and recovering waste streams to convert them to valuable resources with zero solid waste sent to landfills over the course of the year. SCP will achieve net zero waste by maintaining a comprehensive program of sustainability standards with residual waste offsets achieved through programs such as SCP’s Pristine Makai program in Hilo, Hawaii, or a similar domestic program. Through our sustainability measures, SCP Hotels have already achieved meaningfully lower waste production than typical hotels through extensive use of eco-friendly materials in its renovations, incorporating new energy-efficient systems and solar power, locally-sourced fresh food, and regenerative local composting programs at each property. SCP also has already committed to eliminating the use of single-use plastic water bottles and utensils and offers guests refill water stations to encourage use of reusable water bottles throughout their travels.
- Peaceful Rooms – Reflective of our need to disconnect and recharge while traveling, all SCP Hotel rooms will be converted to its Peaceful Room standards, providing a calming rest and relaxation centric environment free of the usual distractions (TVs, clocks, and radios), but which also include added amenities to enhance guests’ peace and clarity, including a yoga mat, meditation pillow, sound machine, selection of essential oils, calming teas and more.
The programs announced today join SCP’s other defining programs:
- Every Stay Does Good – Through Every Stay Does Good every guest check-in to an SCP Hotel, drives measurable positive impacts to the world through SCP’s partners. The Every Stay Does Good program is oriented around SCP’s core values:
- Soul – Through SCP’s partnership with WE Well-Being, every guest stay at an SCP Hotel provides one adolescent with well-being tools and resources to help build life-long mental health skills. More than 30,000 adolescents have been helped to date through this program.
- Community – Through SCP’s partnership with Miracles For Kids, every guest stay at an SCP Hotel provides 24 hours of electricity to light the home of a family of a critically ill child.More than 340,000 hours of light have been provided through this program to date.
- Planet – Through SCP’s partnership with One Tree Planted, every guest stay at an SCP Hotel results in one tree being planted in an unnaturally deforested area. To date, more than 40,000 trees have been planted through this program.
- Pristine Makai - Adapting the Every Stay Does Good program to meet and support specific local needs based on each property’s location, SCP Hilo’s Pristine Makai program launched June 2021. In partnership with the Hawai’i Wildlife Fund (HWF), every time a guest stays at the new SCP Hilo, the property supports HWF’s efforts to keep the Island’s beaches pure by facilitating recovery of approximately 2.2 pounds of marine debris (roughly the equivalent of waste created by a typical hotel guest’s stay in the U.S.), which comes from the Great Pacific Garbage Patch to Hawaii’s remote southern beaches. To date, more than 4,000 pounds of pacific waste has been recovered through this program.
- Fair Trade Pricing – Through SCP’s Fair Trade Pricing program (FTP), guests determine the price they pay for their stay based on the quality of their experience. The accountability for providing exceptional experiences to those who value wellness, kindness, and the environment resides squarely with SCP through the FTP program.
SCP Hotels are currently located in Colorado Springs, Colo., Redmond and Depoe Bay, Ore., Hilo, Hawaii, and the Salishan Coastal Lodge by SCP in Gleneden Beach, Ore. SCP is actively growing its brand footprint, with the goal of developing at least 25 SCP locations in the U.S. by the end of 2023.
About Soul Community Planet
San Juan Capistrano, Calif.-based Soul Community Planet was born out of a vision to provide holistic hospitality experiences for individuals desiring to make positive choices for themselves, our communities, and the planet. SCP provides clean, fresh, energy efficient, low-waste accommodations, fitness and coworking. SCP supports a range of causes that align with its vision through its Every Stay Does Good program and by donating five percent of its profits to causes that share its core values.